Monday, July 30, 2012

Oh the Places You'll Go!


I really did not know how to plan for my activity level after the surgery.  Everyone is different and I have been told I handle pain well, but I was amazed how mostly-normal my summer was.  Now I am wondering when to schedule my reconstructive "exchange" surgery.  I wonder what I'll be able to do.  Should I do it before or after parent conferences?  So I am going to list off some weekly highlights to show what I was able to do, just so you have an idea of how productive you can be.  Remember, you are not sick but you don't want to over do.  I needed sleep the most, that was very important and since I was out of teaching for the summer I was able to get plenty. 



Week 1 - have visitors, go for a short car ride
Week 2 - dinner out, shower independently, go to a charity event, go to a movie, meet with coworker to plan
Week 3 - family birthday party for son, lunch with friend, band concert, tour Children's hospital, dinner at college lecture, county-wide political dinner, mani-pedi, baseball game, senior citizen birthday party, sister's bday dinner
Week 4- dentist, hair cut, clothes shopping, nail appointment, husband's major donors party, cut off loads of corn for freezing
Week 5- church patriotic service, trip to Iowa to visit 3 prospective colleges, walked in 4th of July parade, neighborhood party, family party, fireworks display, trip to lake for 3 days. Not able to get in lake! 
Week 6- All Star Celebrity Game, photos around KC for All Star Game, Fan Fest field trip, Shakespeare in the Park, Farmers Market
Week 7 - Mom's bday dinner, two more college visits in MO, trip to husband's office in Jefferson City, 3 day trip to Branson, theme park but limited rides, shopping, walking a creek, watching family swim
Week 8 - back to school training all week with numerous multi-hour classes daily, attend a late night play, historic preservation tour and dinner on the Plaza, tour and dinner with parents, niece's bday and activities

So you can see it has not slowed me down.  I thought it might help to see the variety and increasing ability.  We return to school (as teachers) in 10 days. I am anxious to see how my body handles a full day.  School starts on Aug 15 and with a large class of 26  I really wonder if I'll be rushing home to visit my recliner.  I'm sure, as everything else has, it will all work out.

For now I return to school and seek to find a time for my second surgery that will work with reading tests, grade card deadlines, parent conferences and starting a student teacher - all in October.  I have faith it will all work out and my healing will continue as smoothly as it has started.  

If something arises, I'll keep you posted otherwise - see you in October (I hope!), perhaps November! 
Cammy

No comments:

Post a Comment