Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pouring Summer Fun Into a Few Days

So there are times when I wonder why I am choosing to do this procedure.  I envision pain, possible complications, etc. I have a very strong faith and God keeps putting people and messages in front of me that add to my certainty that I should proceed.

I have talked with breast cancer survivors and from Facebook watched the reality of one who passed away last month.  I keep promoting the fact that I have insurance, I have the summer off, my husband is home from his duties at the Missouri capitol as a state representative, our daughter can drive, our son is turning 12 and quite self-sufficient. I hear stories of single moms with breast cancer traveling out of state and I am reminded, "this is a piece of cake!" I CAN do this, I SHOULD do this.

My niece-in-law who is a nurse reminded me it feels much better to handle cancer than let cancer handle you.

Will it slow me down? YES! and everybody I know thinks that is good.  I run full force, from event to event.  I love the thrill of "making it!" and this will truly teach me the true meaning of the word "patient."  It is campaign season for Myron and we'll skip a family vacation this year, but I remind myself that in one year I'll be on our second Disney cruise this time with my parents, sister and her family.  Surely by then I'll see this as a distant memory one year ago.....

We wrapped up the school year on May 23 and I have tried to pour a lot of summer into these few free days.  We headed to my parents vacation home in Branson for dips in the pool, lake, and all the roller coaster rides at Silver Dollar City  I could handle.  We went to the Royals game and I have stocked up on household goods, a recliner, and plenty of cute button up the front shirts.  I made a playlist for surgery and have taken note to how much I really do extend my arms - yikes!

My mom has been super supportive with her first-hand knowledge of the procedure, yet time and purpose will separate our experiences so I can't count on it all to be the same.  We've decided it is much like childbirth, everybody has a different story.

I wanted to start this blog as I found few recent perspectives on the procedure.  Mitchell has been so helpful to get this all set up for me and I have spent quite a bit of time on here recapping the last nine months.  So I'll sign off for now so I can go due some things I won't be able to do temporarily.

Surgery is Tuesday at 11:30; say a little prayer for me, my surgeons and caregivers, including the ones who will have to put up with me at home.  Aftercare sounds very busy, but we'll save that for next time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Cammy and of course will be checking in on you. And if you, Myron, or the kids need anything, I'm just a few blocks away! :)

    ReplyDelete